Every year we come up with Christmas card designs. Me being a huge Star Wars fan, I couldn’t resist making another Star Wars themed Christmas card again this year. For my design I chose to go with the famous Stormtrooper Snowflake. After cropping the design to fit the size of my copper plate, I was able to start creating my card using the intaglio printing method.
1. Place the copper plate into an acid bath for 40 min.
2. Rip your paper into size and wet it in a water bath, the paper needs to be semi-damp for printing
3. Take turpentine to clean the ground layer off the surface of the plate
4. Then take some Spirits to remove any cream / fatty residue from the plate.
You can now see that the design has been burnt into the copper plate, thanks to the acid bath
The plate is now ready for printing:
5. Prepare your printing ink
6. Heat up your plate to 60°C and cover it in ink. The heat will allow the ink to run into the grooves
7. Use a gauze to wipe the surface of the plate, removing any access ink
8. Place your plate and the damp paper on the etching press and run it through
Music: Lude Illa by Joe Bagale
Youtube Audio Library